It was in the actual cabmen’s Shelter that now stands at Russell Square where our charity began back in 1928. It was originally located in Leicester Square, before being moved to Russell Square some decades ago, where it now proudly stands.
A taxi driver named Mick Cohen, who had grown up in the Norwood Orphanage, recruited 12 drivers to organise an outing and raise money for the Home.
The Norwood Orphans, their teachers and drivers travelled by coach from Norwood on a tour around London, before arriving at London Zoo where they were treated to tea.
The London Taxi Drivers’ Fund for Underprivileged Children was born.