As with every year, the beginning of September marks the start of a new school term, and 2020 is no exception. This year however has thrown Covid19 into the mix, with social distancing measures to be upheld and issues surrounding the sharing of equipment.
Knowing that this would be a more worrying time than usual for parents and children as they head to the classroom either for the first time or after an extended pandemic enforced break, and a challenging time for staff, our Child Liaison Officer Paul Barber came up with an idea to ensure each child had a set of stationery of their own, along with a pencil case and slipper bag to keep it in.
Various members of the committee have distributed over 700 packs to schools teaching disadvantaged children and those with special needs, throughout London and the South East.
Julie Carver, Gainsborough Primary School, said, “Thank you so much for the school starter sets, the children were so excited to receive them. You are all diamonds and we are always so grateful for the help and support the London Taxi Drivers’ Charity for Children gives us. We can’t wait ‘til safer times allow us to see each other again.”
Schools that we have supported to date with backpacks include:
- College Park School, Westminster, London
- Carlton Primary School, Kentish Town, London
- Beormund Primary School, Southwark, London
- Torriano Infants School, Camden, London
- Brookfield House School, Woodford Green, Essex
- Gainsborough Primary School, Stratford, London
- West Lea School, Edmonton, London
- Churchfields Infant School, South Woodford, London
- Clore Tikva School, Barkingside, Essex
- Buckhurst Hill Community Primary School, Buckhurst Hill, Essex
- Crownfield Junior School, Romford, Essex
- Mawney Foundation School, Romford, Essex
To donate to the London Taxi Drivers’ Charity for Children click the Donate button below or alternatively text TAXI £5, £10 or £20 to 70085