On Sunday 13 January 2019 we held our 47th annual Mad Hatter’s Tea Party in the Great Room of the Grosvenor House (JW Marriott Hotel) on Park Lane where we were hosts to 530 special needs and disadvantaged children, along with their carers.
On arrival the children were welcomed by a host of wonderful costume characters and it was a delight to see all of the children’s faces light up upon seeing them. Special thanks go to the Furry Tail Folk, 501st UK Garrison (Star Wars), Cat Boy from PJ Masks, Cinder’s Parties & Hire with Chase from Paw Control, Peppa Pig and Captain Jack Sparrow. Let’s just say there were plenty of high fives going down!
There was a huge queue for the face painting and Gemma Blackie and her team did a wonderful job painting and adding glitter tattoos to the children’s faces.
The children were then guided into the Great Room where they settled down for a feast of sandwiches, crisps and squash before the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party began. We are very grateful to Mike and Carlos at Global Marketing for the Glow Sticks which were put on the tables for each child, they went down an absolute treat!
To start the afternoon off Amanda’s Action Club got the children warmed up and dancing before the one and only Calum Courtney from Britain’s Got Talent came on stage and sent the children into a frenzy!
Next up it was Elvis Shmelvis’s turn to blast a few songs out and he really got the children all shook up! Onto Dance 21, the dance troupe with down syndrome, who again did a fantastic job of getting the children up on the dance floor.
Tracy Wise came on stage next to perform Little Red Riding Hood magic to the children. Then it was Lucy Kelly’s turn to sing a couple of songs and then it was up on stage for Elsa and Anna, the Let It Glow Princesses to entertain and sing. The last two performances really raised the roof with the well known singer Lydia Lucy, finalist of BBC’s The Voice who indeed has an absolutely stunning voice!
Finally Donchez Dacres from Britain’s Got Talent who belted out a few cracking songs including the fabulous hit WiggleWine! Oh what fun we had!
It was a magical afternoon’s entertainment with so many of the children up dancing and we send huge thanks to Dave Davies and Paul Gee for providing the disco. The party ended on a high note when all of the children screamed with delight as the tinsel streamed down onto the dance floor before the Tea Party came to a close.
Just before the children left the Grosvenor House there was one more treat in store when each child was given an LTCFC branded backpack, which were filled with branded goodies including water bottles, pens, pencils and rulers. We hope the children enjoy them and they help to spread awareness of our charity.
There are so many wonderful people to thank and we sincerely apologise to anyone we may have omitted. Special thanks also go to the following:
- Rita Castelletti, Event Manager and Klaus, Floor Manager and all the staff involved from JW Marriott Grosvenor House
- Dave Davies with assistance from Paul Gee Entertainments
- Greig Spicer, Store Manager and staff at Sainsbury’s at Low Hall, Chingford for sponsoring and supplying the food for the buffet
- All the people who remain static in the Great Room and work tirelessly throughout the day
- Nick Thomset – Manic
- Mark Sarah, Martyn from Genie Events
- Secure Media for the wristbands
- Paddington Fire Station – Green Watch
- Knightsbridge Barracks
- PC Amanda Miller and the Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham and Westminster Volunteer Police Cadets
- Household Cavalry who carried the wheelchairs down to the Great Room
- Bonnie, Tim and Tom from Location Medical Services
- Pearly Kings and Queens
- Let It Glow Princesses
- Crystals the Crystal Palace Cheerleaders
- Barry Harvey, balloon modeller, puppeteer, magician
- Matt Buckley Magician
- Alan Green for photography on the day
- Robert Ayley DipPFS Director of Professional Solutions Wealth Management Ltd of St. James’s Place Wealth Management
- Ultimate Promotions
- HMT Plastics for the key rings
- Navillus branded gifts who supplied the sports bottles and pencil cases.
- Kent balloons for providing the gas cylinder to blow up the balloons
- Emma, Stephanie, Hilary and Abi for all their help giving out all the rucksacks and gifts
- Barry and Maureen for helping out on the day
The Hon. Chairman and the LTCFC committee are extremely grateful to all the wonderful people who helped us to make this party such a great success. We are over the moon that the children had a magical afternoon that we hope they will treasure forever.